Blog #1 Who Am I?


     My name is WooSuk Ki, 기우석, and I also go by the name Paul. I have one brother who is 4 years older than me. As a family of 4, we are currently living in Incheon, South Korea. My father wanted me and my brother to experience the world and learn something different from the Korean education system, so he decided to move the family out of the country. At that time, a small boom of going to an international school in the Southeastern countries began and my family decided to move to Thailand. In 2007 at the age of 8, my life in Thailand, filled with adventures with my blue bike, absorbing the beams of light and warm wind to my skin, began.

    Starting from second grade, my friend group continuously grew and bonded closer. Together, we served as chapel worship group, joined the school jazz band to expand our range of instruments, played on the varsity team for soccer and futsal and really enjoyed spending time in the gym motivating each other to exceed our limits. We would adventure through the mountains and rice fields with our bikes and stay up all night playing video games. We never changed until graduating as class of 2018. Growing up, I had so much peace. Chiang Mai surely has a big place in my heart which I still call home.

    After graduating high school, I had two choices, moving to Canada or moving back to Korea. I've wanted to continue living abroad but during my 11 years in Thailand, I've only been able to see my dad 3 times, each about 2-3 weeks long. My mom knew that if I didn't come back to Korea, my relationship with my father would be very awkward so recommended me to come back. Not only that but tuition played a big part. 

    After a not-so-long thinking process, I decided to move back to Korea. The application process was too much work, but I am glad I went through it because without it, I would not have made it to Yonsei. Something I had to give up though as I changed my course of life to Korea was my major. I always loved math and science and thought that one day I would become an engineer. However, I wanted to explore and understand what other options were there for me, so I decided to give up STEM courses and move on.

    I applied to UIC for Quantitative Risk Management courses but found interest in Information Interaction Design as I interacted with a lot of upper classmen. Having no experience with any design or art, I struggled in my freshmen year, saw the limitations and decided to major in Creative Technology Management. However, my first interaction with UI/UX grasped my attention and it remained deep inside. After finishing military, I couldn't give up the effort I have put in the early stages of college, so now I am majoring both.

    In my understanding, Interaction Design is different from the design we normally think of when we hear the word design. Through this course, I would like to learn more about interaction design and really think about what its potentials are. The world is continuously advancing forward and people are interacting in different ways, specifically through technology. I would like the really learn how the change is applied and effected to the daily life within our society/community and see how can contribute myself to that change. 


Currently majoring CTM and IID. 
2nd Sem of Junior 

IID
- Introduction to IID 
- Photography Workshop 
- Data Visualization 
- Introduction to Social Computing 
- Social Digital Innovation 
- Introduction to Digital Tools 
- User Experience Research Methods 
- Communicating with Type  
- Theories and Practices of Media Art
- Interaction Design

CTM
- Introduction to Management 
- IT Foundation 
- Introduction to Information System Management
- Programming for Everybody 
- ENTREPRENEURIALLY MANAGING IN CREATIVE TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIES 
- UX DESIGN AND STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT 
- Attracting Investment for an Entrepreneurial Venture 
- Financial Management for Technology Venture Firms 
- Managerial Accounting for Technology Venture Firms 
- Strategic Marketing in Creative Industry
- Technovation 

19 Summer DFK Social Impact Boot Camp in Tanzania
20 Mar ~ Jul RA for Allen House 
20 Jan ~ Aug Homeroom 7 Leader for UIC 
22 May ~ Jul SKT AI Agent Project Apollo UX Evaluation 
22 Aug UIC Global Seminar TA
22 Mar UIC Global Seminar Head TA
22 Feb ~ Dec Underwood Inside Program
22 Aug ~ RA at Wonchul House
22 Aug ~ Music Director at SoWhat (Student Jazz Club)

Future: 

Visual System
Senior Project
Capstone 

I am interested in UX design, Strategic Marketing, recently found interest in R&D and VC 

Planning to take a semester off to try internships and experience what kind of jobs are available for me and if I would like to pursue in those fields. Decision regarding graduate school will be determined during this period. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #3